Green Tea ware
Tea Set Tokoname Hokujo Shimizu
item # 99
Production District: Tokoname (Aichi, JAPAN)
Potter: Hokujo Shimizu
Kiln: Hokujo in Tokoname
Application for: Japanese Green tea, Chinese Tea and others
Cup Height: 2-1/8 inch (54mm)
Top of the Cup Diameter: 3-1/4 inch (83mm)
Cup Capacity: approximately 6 oz. (180ml)
Tea Pot Height: 3-1/2 inch (89mm)
Tea Pot Serving Size: approximately 16 oz. (480ml)
Dish Washer: Not recommended
Those photos are samples. If you receive the pot, it will not be exactly the same seaweed pattern.
The pattern is made with seaweed. Seaweed is fired on the tea pot, and the pattern is created. It is a natural pattern and never the same twice.
Who is Hokujo Shimizu?
Hokujo Shimizu was born in 1945 at Tokoname. Tokoname city has been holding gChosan exhibitionsh of pottery every couple years. He has gotten awards 5 times at this exhibition since 1974. He was recognized by the governor of Aichi prefecture in 1991 as an excellent craftsman of traditional industry. He was designated a traditional craftsman by the Japanese government in 1994. He got an award from the Minister for Trade and industry in 1995.
He has been a part-time lecturer in pottery at Aichi Prefectural University of Fine Arts and Music since 2007.
Why choose a Tokoname tea pot?
Tokoname tea pots have excellent functions.
1. The angle for pouring is a very effective design. Tea does not drip from the spout.
2. The handle is designed for easy handling.
3. The lid shape is adjusted to perfectly match the pot after firing. The excellent match provides a good condition for steaming tea leaves.
4. Impurities adsorb with the fine particle clay. It works as kind of filter and enhances the primary taste of tea.
5. The clay has a lot of iron oxide. The oxide reacts with tannin. Tannin is a kind of bitter taste in tea. So if tannin and iron oxide react with each other, the tea taste changes to mild.
Tokoname tea pots can make good tea. Thatfs the reason Japanese green tea shops recommend Tokoname tea pots. You can enjoy real green tea taste and fragrance.